| Broken Hill was founded in 1883, by boundary rider Charles Rasp. He discovered deposits of what he thought to be tin. He later discovered that these were Silver, Lead & Zinc deposits and would lead to the discovery of one of the richest ore bodies of its kind in the world.|
In 1885, a syndicate of 7 men formed The Broken Hill Proprietory Company (BHP). In 1915 they expanded their development into the manufacturing of steel and later left the city in 1939.
Since their departure, Broken Hill has been home to 14 different mining companies. The major mining companies currently located in Broken Hill and surrounding areas include Perilya, CBH Resources and Bemax Resources Limited.
Broken Hill has a rich and robust mining history and there are local mining tours available.
Broken Hill's historic buildings and tranquil bush landscapes offer inspiration to artists and film industry professionals. Proud to boast the home of international artists such as Pro Hart and Jack Absolom, Broken Hill is thriving on artistic talent and can be viewed in one of 30 plus art galleries throughout the city. Broken Hill has more resident artists per capita than anywhere else in Australia.
The picturesque views and historic buildings have been the backdrop for television productions, video clips, commercials and movies.
Some such recognisable scenes would include:
- The Mundi Mundi Plains (Located approx. 20kms North East of the city, outside of Silverton) featured in Mad Max 2.
- Mario's Palace (Located on the corner of Argent & Sulphide Streets) featured in The adventures of Priscilla Queen of the Desert.
- Silverton Hotel (Located approx. 20kms North East of the city, in Silverton) featured in XXXX beer commercial (filmed in the 80's)
Other than a 26% increase in tourism to the city, Broken Hill is looking forward to the future with a proposed installation of one of the largest Wind Farms in the world. This will create renewable energy and an increase in local employment and revenue for the City. For regular updates of the Silverton Wind Farm development please visit www.silvertonwindfarm.com.
Broken Hill is a proud host of some of the biggest annual events such as:
- St. Patricks Race Meeting: Held 2 weeks before Easter each year, attracting thousands of visitor's to the City, for more information
- Annual 4WD Challenge: Rugged endurance challenge of modified 4WD's set in Australia's outback, held every May since 1999.
- Silver City Cup Race Meeting: Celebrating the history of Broken Hill racing, this is a summer race meet held in late October / early November.
- Agfair: A biennial event held in May, this is an agricultural fair of over 300 exhibitors. Agfair draws exhibitors and patrons from all parts of Australia, to show off new farming techology & products
For more information on local attractions and events please feel free to visit Broken Hill Visitor Information Centre www.visitbrokenhill.com.au
To look at properties available, please click here to view properties in Broken Hill.
| || |